At IHM we believe sport contributes positively to the health and well-being of children.
All children participate in class fitness activities and a physical education program taught by a specialist PE teacher. Children are encouraged to participate in sport for enjoyment, to get a sense of team play and to develop their skill level and maintain a good level of fitness and health.
A school Sports Day is held annually to allow children to display their skills and to allow parents to see their children compete in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
All Reception to Year 5 students participate in a week-long aquatics program annually at the The Parks Recreation Centre early in Term One. The Year 6 students take part in a Aquatics Day, generally in Term 4.
Various sporting organisations are invited to the school each year to conduct specialist clinics. Children also have the opportunity to take part in interschool sport in soccer, netball, basketball, swimming and cross-country.
The aims of our Interschool Sport Program program are for children to:
- Have fun
- Make friends
- Explore and improve their skills
- Participate at their level (modified rules, Aussie Sports)
- Share praise and recognition with others
- Learn the rules and behaviour code of their sports
- Learn to play as a member of a team
- Foster a positive attitude to sport and their own health.